- The social network is a theoretical construct useful in the social sciences to study relationships between individuals, groups, organizations, or even entire societies.
- Such networks provide an extremely suitable space to instantly share multimedia information between individuals and their neighbors in the social graph.
History Of Social Networking
- In the late 1800s, both Emile Durkheim and Ferdinand Tonnies foreshadowed the idea of social networks in their theories and research of Social groups.
- In the early 1930s Dr. Jacob Levi Moreno introduced the sonogram
- In 1954, anthropologist J. A. Barnes used the phrase “social network” to describe the complex relationships .
Evolution graph of a social network: Barabasi Model
- The Barabási –Albert (BA) model is an algorithm for generating random scale-free networks using a preferential attachment mechanism.
- Scale-free networks are widely observed in natural and human-made systems, including the Internet, the world wide web, citation networks, and some social networks. The algorithm is named for its inventors Albert-Laszlo Barabasi and Reka Albert.
Social networks and science
- Julia Porter Liebeskind et al. have published a study on how new biotechnology firms are using social networking sites to share exchanges in scientific knowledge
- Social networking is allowing scientific groups to expand their knowledge base and share ideas, and without these new means of communicating their theories might become “isolated and irrelevant”.
Social networks and education
- Social networks and their educational uses are of interest to many researchers. According to Livingstone and Brake (2010), “Social Networking Sites, like much else on the Internet, represent a moving target for researchers and policy makers.
Social Networking service
- A social networking service is a platform to build social networks or social relations among people who, for example, share interests, activities, backgrounds, or real-life connections.
- Social networking sites allow users to share ideas, pictures, posts, activities, events, and interests with people in their network.